A2. You must work in partnership with patients, adapting your communication approach to take into account their particular needs, and supporting patients in expressing to you what is important to them.
- Trust is an essential part of a clinical relationship, and can only be developed through effective communication between an osteopath and their patient.
- You must care for your patients and do your best to understand their condition and improve their health.
- You should be sensitive to the specific needs of patients, and be able to select and utilise effective forms of communication, which take these into account.
- You should share with patients, accurate and relevant information and encourage them to ask questions, and to take an active part in decisions about their treatment and care.
- The most appropriate treatment for patients will sometimes involve:
- Referring them to another osteopath or other healthcare professional.
- Providing advice on self-care.
- Not treating them at all.
This page reformats automatically when printed. Print this section